Bridge to 2030 is back: Climb towards the next breast cancer breakthrough

February 22nd, 2019

The National Breast Cancer Foundation invites the community to register for ‘Bridge to 2030’ to raise funds for game-changing breast cancer research

19 February 2019: The National Breast Cancer Foundation (NBCF)’s Bridge to 2030 event returns for the third year in 2019. The event gives the community the opportunity to climb the iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge for research to keep our bright researchers on the road to zero deaths from breast cancer by 2030.

The Bridge to 2030 fundraiser will take place on Thursday 23 May, 2019 at BridgeClimb in Sydney. Supporters will help NBCF work towards stopping deaths from breast cancer, whilst taking in one of the most spectacular sights Sydney has to offer.

This year we’re challenging teams of 10 to raise $10,000. This will provide a huge boost to NBCF-funded breast cancer researchers who are working hard to tackle some of the biggest hurdles to stopping deaths from breast cancer.

Today, despite the advances made in research so far, there are still eight deaths from breast cancer every day[i], highlighting the scale of the task still at hand. Breast cancer is also the most commonly diagnosed cancer in Australia, with one in seven Australians to be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime. [ii]This equates to 53 women facing a diagnosis each and every day in Australia.[iii]

With more people being diagnosed with breast cancer each year, more breast cancer research is urgently needed to help fund a future for Australian women and save lives.

NBCF Chief Executive Officer Professor Sarah Hosking encouraged the community to rally their teams for Bridge to 2030 to help NBCF reach its determined goal of zero deaths from breast cancer by 2030.

“In the 25 years since NBCF’s inception, breast cancer survival rates have increased from 76% to 91%[iv] however NBCF’s ultimate mission is to completely eradicate any deaths from the disease by targeting the remaining 9% over the next 12 years,” said Professor Hosking.

“To help ensure our 2030 mission we will be honing our efforts on targeting those most of risk of breast cancer, and in turn, improving health service delivery to them. We are also putting a major emphasis on tackling aggressive breast cancers like metastatic and triple negative breast cancers,” she continued.

NBCF funded researcher Dr Liz Caldon from the Garvan Institute for Medical Research is grateful to be a part of an event with such passionate, well-informed and motivated fundraisers. Dr Caldon’s research is focuses on reducing the resistance of treatments specific to estrogen receptor positive cancers. Metastatic recurrence in estrogen receptor positive breast cancer is one of the biggest causes of deaths in breast cancer.

“NBCF has helped shape my research direction towards the discovery of mechanisms of drug resistance in breast cancer. They provided pivotal support at transition periods in my career when I have been establishing an independent research direction. The money raised from Bridge to 2030 will make a big difference,” said Dr Caldon.

Yvonne Hughes, a valued member of NBCF’s Speakers Network, was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2011 after taking a break from her busy corporate career to have a baby.

 

She said that being a part of this year’s Bridge to 2030 had a very personal meaning for her: “I am delighted to be involved in this year’s Bridge to 2030 event to help raise awareness and funds for breast cancer research. Funding more research is absolutely critical to stopping deaths from breast cancer.”

Yvonne is a strong advocate for breast cancer research and actively shares her story of being diagnosed with breast cancer to help the NBCF raise more funds for research.

 

How to get involved

  1. REGISTER your fundraising team at org.au/Sydney
  2. GROW your fundraising team- More the merrier!

  3. PERSONALISE your fundraising page and start spreading the word.
  4. SHARE your online fundraising page and encourage your networks to support you.
  5. RAISE FUNDS reach a minimum of $1,000 per person.
  6. REACH NEW HEIGHTS raise funds for research.

[i] Australian Institute of Health & Welfare https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/cancer/cancer-data-in-australia/contents/summary (accessed 15 February, 2019).

[ii] As above.

[iii] As above.

[iv] As above.

Click here to download the media release.