Fundraiser Q&A Mikaela

August 29th, 2012

Mikaela_213x250Name

Mikaela

Where are you from? How did you get into fundraising?

I was born and bred in a country town called Aberystwyth in Wales. I attended Birmingham University, England straight from school and decided to travel upon completing my degree. After travelling through South East Asia and the East Coast of Australia, I decided to come to Melbourne to settle and look for work. It was then that I first got involved in face-to-face fundraising because of my passion for humanitarian organisations. I loved the work and haven’t looked back since!

What do you enjoy about face-to-face fundraising?

I enjoy doing face-to-face work because I get to have a different office everyday and have the freedom to travel. I get to meet and interact with different people from all walks of life and as a result I have strengthened my communication skills immensely. I love the fact that I am able to make an income whilst representing hugely reputable and international organisations; through educating myself and others on global issues, through raising awareness, and raising funds by empowering people in their ordinary lives to help make a difference.

What do you like about working on the National Breast Cancer Foundation campaign specifically?

I have found working on the NBCF campaign extremely touching and rewarding. Hearing people’s stories really awakens you to the fact that so many women and men everywhere are suffering from this terrible disease whether it is personally or through a friend or relative; including a close family friend of my own. There is not only an overwhelming amount of support from those that suffered from breast cancer, but also from those who do not. It really is a disease that can affect and touch everyone somehow, making it an exceptionally worthy cause to fundraise for.

What makes you passionate about working to fund breast cancer research?

I feel passionate about working to fund breast cancer research because already a great deal of progress has been made. The fact that the number of deaths from breast cancer has halved since 1994, is amazing. The results really do speak for themselves and so the future seems extremely promising, providing that the NBCF continues to get the support it requires to carry on vital research. In the small time period I have spent fundraising for the NBCF, I know that the support is definitely out there and that people are more than willing to contribute towards achieving the goal of zero deaths from breast cancer by 2030.

Do you have an interesting story from your F2F experiences?

I have too many interesting and inspirational stories to pinpoint one. To be honest, every donor that I meet that has willingly and selflessly put money towards the cause deserves recognition – so here’s to them!